Saturday, February 17, 2024

 

Rene Marie sings her closing song at the Jefferson Center Friday night.

Roanoker Rene Marie Wows Jeff Center Crowd

Rene Marie and her band.
My memory is more than a little foggy, but I remember interviewing Rene Marie a number of years ago when we were both cubs. I was a feature writer for somebody and she was a new singer with a new name. 

I had been writing feature stories after a career as a sports writer and she had changed her name from Rene Marie Stevens. I was working on an assignment profiling the hot young singer.

What we had in common at the time was Roanoke. She had moved here at the age of 10 and was to leave 40 years later for Warrenton, her hometown. She's 68 now with hair so short she looks bald at a distance and remains equipped with one of the best jazz voices in the business. Last night, she played the Jefferson Center and my friend Susan took me as a Christmas present (a bit late, but all the more appreciated).

I mentioned our long-ago meeting to Rene after her hour and 15 minutes of singing and wasn't surprised that she didn't recall it. I am certain it was far more important to me than it was to her. I was and am a fan of her music and her strong stand for what is right in this world. She even writes about her beliefs--standing up for the dispossessed and the forgotten. I admire her for a heck of a lot more than her superb music.

She is almost a child of Roanoke, as am I, and I am proud to share the Star City with her.

Susan and me at the Jefferson Center Jazz Club.

The old editor and jazz fan.

Susan and I enjoyed snacks before the entertainment began.

Susan looking content.

Rene Marie and her excellent trio.






No comments:

Post a Comment

You are invited to comment, but please be civilized and kind.

Previously

  Mom arriving at Woodrum Field on her first airplane flight in the early 1970s. (The following is from my memoir,  "Burning the Furnit...

Welcome to editrdan